Wix is a cloud-based platform for creating websites, and the most exciting part is that it offers a free plan, which attracts numerous users. Wix hosts 160 million websites today and is the leading player in the website building landscape.
In any case, Wix users may have reasons to delete or unpublish a site from Wix, which can be easily met if they decide to move their business somewhere else or try a different platform. Curious How? Let’s begin.
Can You Unpublish a Wix site?
The simple answer to this question is YES — you can unpublish your site on a Wix. Your Wix site, along with its contents, will be inaccessible to any site visitors.
Nevertheless, The good news is that you can still hide your Wix site from the search engine following few steps. Here’s how:
- Log in to your Wix account and Go to SEO Tools in the site dashboard.
- Select General SEO Settings.
- Click the “Let search engines index your site” toggle to disable this option.
- Click Hide Site, and now your Wix site will be hidden from search engines.
What will happen when you unpublish your site on the Wix
Unpublishing your website on Wix will leave your website inaccessible to site visitors. It will appear as if the contents of your index page never existed. Nevertheless, you can share the direct link, allowing visitors to access the website and its contents.
You need to be aware that unpublishing a Wix site will affect your SEO rankings, and your position in the SERP might not remain the same after a few days.
Moreover, you will be able to republish your website whenever you wish; in that way, you will be in control of your Wix website and its contents.
Unpublishing Vs. Deleting Wix Site
In contrast to what you might think, unpublishing and deleting Wix websites are entirely different terms. The major line that separates these two terms is extensive, so what is the difference?
Well, When you delete a website, you are deleting it from the internet, as well as from Wix servers. You won’t be able to recover any data from your deleted website, and you are unlikely even to recover your website’s URL if you delete it permanently. Additionally, if you don’t have a backup, you are more likely to lose everything and be forced to begin from scratch. I know that sucks!
On the other hand, as I said before, your site will be inaccessible to your site visitors and can only access through the direct link. The most obvious benefit is you can republish your site whenever you want — no muss and fuss about losing anything.
How To Unpublish a Wix Site Completely
Here’s a Complete Step-By-Step Guide To Unpublish Wix Sites
- To access your Wix account, log in with the email account you signed up with, or you can also use your Facebook or Google account.
- On the left-hand side of the panel, select Settings and then click on the Website Settings.
- From Website Settings, click on Unpublish.
- Last but not least, From the popup, click on the Unpublish button to confirm.
Now since you’ve got a sense to Unpublish a Wix site, let’s learn how to delete it as well.
How To Delete a Wix Site Completely
- Use your login credentials to log into your Wix account and Open your site Dashboard.
- Select the Site Actions dropdown menu from the Dashboard.
- Choose Move to Trash from the Site Actions dropdown list.
- Select the Move to Trash button in the popup window to Confirm.
To Permanently delete or restore your Wix site:
- Go to My Sites; There, you’ll see a Trash icon.
- Click on the Site Actions, and then you can Permanently Delete or Restore your Wix Site.
With Wix, users can manage and create websites quickly and online from a cloud-based platform. There are multiple templates with video backgrounds, fonts, and animation in the solution. Using this feature, users can customize their website with their logos and branding.
This article covers everything, and I hope you learned How to Unpublish Wix Site, Permanently delete them and restore if you wish. Moreover, we suggest every user take and manage a backup of their website once a month. In that way, there no fear of losing your files. Till then, Keep writing, Happy Blogging!